Stay Informed

In partnership with:
Cascadia College
Center for Career Alternatives
Center for Career Alternatives

Employment Security Department
United Way of Snohomish County: Lutheran Community Services
Salvation Army
Snohomish County
Snohomish County Human Services Department
Volunteers of America Western Washington
Snohomish County DSHS
Workforce Development Council
Worksource Snohomish County
Take Charge of Your Finances
  • Prepare a household budget
  • List assets
  • Set priorities
  • Make a list of creditors
  • Notify your creditors
  • Pay what you can
  • Stay in touch with creditors
  • Stop credit purchases
  • Reduce household expenses
  • Sell what you don’t need
  • Check into other financial resources
Don’t Ignore Your Mail!

Ignoring government agency inquiries or creditor requests for information may make things worse. If you don’t understand notices or bills sent to you, call the person who sent the bill.

Get the Help You Need... You’ve Earned It

You help pay for public programs through your taxes and for
community services through contributions to United Way and other organizations. Now your money can work for you. Help comes from an array of services ranging from support such as individual or family counseling to practical support like help with finances.

We all need a little help at some time in our lives. Don’t be embarrassed to ask for the help you need. You paid for it. You earned it.

Getting Through It Together

Your spouse and children can feel helpless. Talk to your family and
plan together to deal with problems. It helps to give each member of
the family some positive steps they can take to help. By sharing the
burden and pulling together, families can grow closer.

Things to Do

First, explore your unemployment and WorkSource options and benefits. Some may be time sensitive. Then, stay busy.

If you’re temporarily out of work, keep yourself occupied. This is a good time to do all the things you’ve been putting off: fix the faucets, give your
car a tune-up, clean out the garage, visit friends and relatives or take a community class.

Check your local newspaper for a list of activities, many of which are free. You can also check with your local recreation department, city or county website, library, community center or college.

Volunteering is a particularly rewarding way to use your time, even for a short period. Visit United Way’s Volunteer Center to find a good match, or call 425.374.5534 and we’ll be glad to help.

Help for Hard Times: A Survival Guide to Unemployment

Unemployment, even temporary, is one of the most difficult experiences to endure, especially if it affects your entire family’s income. Knowing where to turn and taking control can reduce the impact.

You could lose benefits if you don't file in time. Find out what to do in the first 30 days , first 60 days and first 90 days .

For a list of who to contact for specific needs such as unemployment benefits, worker retraining and food assistance, see our Directory of Resources.

If you are a union employee, additional resources are probably available. Contact your representative or union office.

What to Do in the First 30 Days

What to Do in the First 60 Days

  • It is not too late to apply for unemployment benefits. Apply online or call the TeleCenter . If your benefits are nearly exhausted, visit to apply for an extension.

  • Training Benefits can extend your unemployment insurance while you are in training. Visit . You must apply for Training Benefits within 60 days of opening your unemployment claim.

  • If you are applying for Training Benefits, you must also apply for Commissioner Approved Training (CAT). CAT will allow you to draw unemployment while focusing on your training program. Visit .

  • Find out if your company has been approved for Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA). TAA provides benefits and re-employment services to workers laid off due to global competition. Workers may be eligible for training, job search and relocation allowances, income support and more. If your company has been approved for TAA, visit to learn how to apply. You must apply for TAA benefits through local WorkSource offices and must
    claim your benefits within the first 60 days of layoff.

What to Do in the First 90 Days

Mission: Leading positive change that transforms our community and improves people’s lives in Snohomish County

Site by FUSE IQ